Thursday, May 5, 2011

Tips On Bringing It All Together...

A good friend of mine asked me to help her find accessories/shoes to go with her new Birthday Dress.  I want to use how I styled her, to show you all how easy it can be to bring an entire 'look' together.  Here, is her dress.  It is a Juicy Couture 'Avery' Paisley-Print Silk Dress & like most other women, this was the easiest part.  You know what style dress you are looking for, for the occasion, you find it, you love it, & then what?



I always always always suggest finding a shoe first!  Often times, I find a shoe that I become obsessed with & THEN try to find a dress to go with it.  But in this case, she has found the dress already & is looking for guidance in the shoe & accessory part.  Instead of the slate colored pumps shown with the dress in the picture above, I opted for a neutral flesh toned closed toe pump, with a heel bow.  The dress has a lot going on, colors, patterns & drapery, let the dress do the talking & a stylish pair of shoes do the walking...


From there I work with accessories, but I need to determine what I want to be the focal point of the outfit.  Clearly, the dress is dramatic & is going to be our center of attention.  Since there is already a cinched tie around the neckline, I would opt for accessories other than a necklace.  Here I went with simple gold pieces: One, thin, navy blue adorned jewel, gold bangle, simple gold droplet earrings, & a fabulous navy & robins egg blue cocktail ring that complies with both shades of blue within her dress...



Since it is her Birthday event, she more than likely will not be carrying a large purse with her, so elect something simpler, like this gunmetal wristlet.  Also, a nice pair of gold aviators would definitely go great with the ease of the dress...


As far as lipstick & polish goes, I wanted to do something that obviously played up the scarlet within her dress.  If I were to suggest a nude lip & polish (something less substantial) then I would highly suggest significantly larger accessories.  But since I wanted to do a cherry lip, I kept the accessories simple, especially those around her face (earrings).  And lastly, it's HER birthday so the attention will already be on her, but just in case, splurge on a fun new flirty scent!


Lets bring the entire look together: 






1. Juicy Couture Avery Paisley Print Silk Dress $198
2. DV by Dolce Vita Pumps $89
3. Tinky Road Gold Bangle $24
4. Kenith Cole Gold Drop Earrings $45
5. NYC cocktail ring $24
6. Marc by Marc Jacobs Clutch $148
7. DVF Aviator Shades $165
8. MAC Sheer Lipstick $14.50
9. Juicy Couture Peace, Love & Couture $47
10. Essie Nail Polish in Apertif $8

No comments:

Post a Comment