Monday, March 7, 2011

Sofas vs. Chairs...

So, my lovely friend & fellow blogger, Keely over at Luxe & Lillies is looking for a little spacial advice on whether she should redecorate her living room with sofas or chairs.  Currently, she has 2 awesome oversized sofas & she is looking to open the space up a bit, but is weary about switching to chairs.  Here are my thoughts...



Multiple, big, comfy chairs like the ones above are awesome for entertaining!  With a small coffee table centered in the middle & four large chairs surrounding it would be perfect for having company over (minus that massive plant being it is a huge distraction & difficult to converse through).



Keely also has an impressive 'focal wall' which highlights some of her beautiful art, photographs, great books, & a cocktail menu with a beverage tray.  She found a quintessential shelving unit to replace her focal wall that I am positive she will decorate in a very chic manner, but if she were to keep her focal wall with the long table unit, some stools slid underneath would be perfect when entertaining...


I love the idea of sectionals.  They serve a purpose, but unfortunately take up a lot of space.  The nice thing about this size sectional is that it isn't overwhelmingly large, but you still are able to have a couch, as well as a chaise lounge too.  I am loving the leather trim on these pieces as well...

So I came to my conclusion & would suggest to Ms. Keely; switching to strictly Chairs will be a huge adjustment for both you & your fiance.  The comfort of sofas will never be replaced, regardless of the size or luxury of the chair.  Although I love the idea of having multiple chairs for entertaining purposes, I think you will really miss the tranquility of having a couch to cuddle up on, just the two of you.


My suggestion would be a smaller sized sectional, paired with a unique chair!  The best of both worlds, cozy & chic, yet spacious & inviting...


This last room design would be perfect (I could do without the rocking chair, but an easy alter at that).  The 'focal wall' behind the living room area is awesome as well as the chairs & sofa being very inviting...



What do you prefer? Chairs, Sofas, or both?


1 comment:

  1. love this Kara! SO many fab ideas!I'm just waiting for the second your blog blows up! its awesome!

    ReplyDelete