Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Many Uses for Mason Jars...

Anyone that knows me, knows I am obsessed with Mason Jars!!  They are so versatile with a touch of country chic, I cannot get my hands on enough of these little gems!



There are seriously so many fun & creative things you can do with Mason Jars.  I love the idea of using them with tea light candles at night event...


... or as storage!  Tie a cute label around each jar to make the space unique & usable...


Using the jars as cups is always fun & gives a laid back feel to a modern day cocktail party...


This is so cute! Never thought of this before, but this would be a great way to offer homemade lemonade to guests at a graduation party...


I think this is going to be my next DIY project! I love this!! It is so creative & really puts my theory that 'everything has a place' to use...


Very shabby chic, I love...


...Hand Soap Jars...


...Decorative displays of recent treasures found...


... & dying them a different color is so easy...


So if you were to search for those vintage blue mason jars at an antique store, it would easily set you back $8-$15! You can buy a case of clear for $6!! Follow these easy steps to dye your jar the color of your choice!!

Purchase Vitrea 160, which is just a transparent color for stained glass.  Often chosen is the color Turquoise, but play around with colors.  Make sure you also purchase Thinner from the same product line so the color appears more faint. Scoop a small amount of Color (very very small, the size of an eraser head) & dab that into an old tupperwear. Then use your fan brush to dip into the thinner & then mix with the color. Coat the outside of the jar. It is going to look cloudy & too bright, but when you bake it, it will fade your brushstrokes as well as the color...


Let the color sit upside down for 24hrs.  Then place the jar in the oven & let it bake for 40 minutes at 375 degrees F.  Let your jar cool for a couple hours & you're finished!! A fun DIY project, as well as a good gift idea, for a price cheaper than found at an antique store, & made with love!


Head to your local farmers market, get a cheap bouquet of fresh flowers & you're good to go! 
Enjoy :)


2 comments:

  1. I love vintage mason jars. I have several that I captured from my grandmother when she moved - they were amazing little finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love these ideas. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete